Tuesday

Steadman.

Views

This should have been the first post I ever did...but it wasn't so here it is now.
Ralph Steadman is one of my favourite artists of all time. You probably know him as the guy who did all the drawings for Hunter S. Thompson's Rolling Stone pieces as well as many of his books. His collaborations with Hunter are incredible but my favourite Steadman work is, hands down, the illustrations he did for Alice in Wonderland. I love all things Alice and when I came across Steadman's illustrated book in Vancouver a few years ago, I had to buy it. I look through it quite often and get lost in his work every single time.
The illustrations are considerably darker than the animated film...but that kind of goes without saying when Steadman is the artist and I think his work is closer to the actual feel of the book.





some other Steadman pieces...


New. Kurt Vonnegut etching.


The quintessential Dr. Gonzo.


Another of my favourite series...Wine According to Steadman.




Steadman has a huge body of work and I couldn't even begin to cover it here...
Ralph Steadman Art Homepage.


If anyone has an extra $3,000 lying around, please buy me The Lizard Lounge silkscreen. Thanks.